ENGINEERING SUMMER INTERN/CO-OP 2023
WestRock (NYSE:WRK) partners with our customers to provide differentiated paper and packaging solutions that help them win in the marketplace. WestRock's team members support customers around the world from locations spanning North America, South America, Europe, Asia and Australia. Learn more at www.westrock.com.
Engineering Intern/Co-op 2023 – Various Locations
Job Summary: Our WestRock Early Careers Engineering Intern/Co-op will gain a hands-on experience in one of WestRock’s manufacturing, research & development, or corporate environments focusing in areas such as cost savings, environmental, and/or sustainability efforts. Throughout the assignments, there will be a heavy emphasis placed on safety, teamwork, and process improvement. By the end of the assignment, this experience will have positively contributed to your curriculum and career goals in preparation for life after college.
Internship Opportunities and Locations: We are currently recruiting for multiple Internship and Co-op positions to support our Mill Operations, Corrugated Packaging, Consumer Packaging, and R&D business units. Internship and co-op opportunities are available and based in various locations across the U.S. within manufacturing facilities and corporate offices. By applying for this position, you may be considered for all available opportunities (location examples listed below).
· New Jersey
· New York
· North Carolina
· South Carolina
Internship and co-op openings will vary by location and term. Openings will be filled in order of business priority, job function, and in order of application.
Major Job Responsibilities:
- Develop and apply skills to help increase efficiency, reliability, and productivity within WestRock’s manufacturing, converting, or support groups.
- Analyze data sets to identify key insights and provide value-based solutions
- Seek out and promote innovative solutions to operational challenges and support maintenance activities with a focus on preventative maintenance
- Identify root cause problems through troubleshooting issues to identify areas of opportunities
- Report project discovery findings to managers, teams, and senior leadership
- Serve as safety champion by understanding and enforcing department, plant or mill safety policies
- Manage day-to-day activities of assigned roles, complete project tasks, and implement new processes
- Gain exposure to one or more of the following fields within the Pulp, Paper and Packaging Manufacturing Industry – Process Engineering, Process Controls and Automation, Supply Chain, Procurement, Logistics, Maintenance & Reliability, Health and Safety, Sustainability, Research & Development, etc.
People & Culture
- Communicate cross-functionally about technical and project findings
- Collaborate closely with assigned team members to complete project tasks
Critical Skills / Capabilities:
- Demonstrates an interest, willingness, and drive to learn new things; seeks to understand concepts, processes, and ideas within area of functional expertise; naturally inquisitive; sets meaningful goals for personal work productivity
- Clearly exchanges thoughts, ideas, and messages through written, verbal, and non-verbal methods that promote an understanding with the target audience; listens carefully and attentively
- Has an eye for recognizing errors or differences; plans and completes work with thoroughness, giving attention to specific information and individual details, conditions, necessary record keeping, and elements of that work
- Identifies and analyzes problems; weighs relevance and accuracy of information; generates and evaluates alternative solutions; makes recommendations; demonstrates tackling a problem by using a logical, systematic, or sequential approach
- Plans, arranges and/or monitors work to ensure achievement of desired results; establishes a systematic course of action to accomplish objectives
- Demonstrates agility, flexibility, and a willingness to modify one’s approach to achieve desired results; responds quickly to changing demands, processes, and updated information
- Works effectively with others to complete a task or achieve a common objective; ability to cooperate in both interpersonal and team relationships to foster enthusiasm and maintain mutual trust, candor, and respect for others. Works through conflict constructively
· Microsoft Office - Excel, Word, PowerPoint
- Work in an office within the plant environment
- Be comfortable working in an industrial / manufacturing work setting where applicable
- Be able to Maintain strict adherence to safety rules and regulations
· Preferred: Minimum course experience as recommended per position in related field
· Candidates must be actively enrolled in an accredited engineering college/university program. Majors may include (but are not limited to): Chemical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Industrial & Systems Engineering, Materials Science/Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Packaging Science/Engineering, Paper Science/Engineering.
WestRock is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We strive to create and maintain a diverse workforce where everyone feels valued, respected, and included. WestRock does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law.